Monday, April 27, 2009

Work in Progress



I've been staying with these landscapes, and restricting myself to just three colors. So far I like the color that I get from these. But because I am working with limited references, I have to keep changing the composition. Two steps forward, one step back.
This is where I usually just add another color, but I want to stay the course here (did I just say that?). It is so close to completion. 

So, I'll just sketch for a while, finding the next one, and then start painting it, with the hope that the solutions for the current work will come to me. I know they will, they always seem to eventually. But my  inner 5 year old is screaming right now. 


4 comments:

Katherine said...

They're just beautiful Melissa.

I want to ask what more you want them to say or be, but also realize that might not readily be something that can be answered with words.

Melissa said...

At this size they look fairly finished. But there are a few areas that feel a little raw to me still. But I would say that they are saying what I want them to say right now. So I will sit with them for a while.

Gary Keimig said...

It looks like you are accomplishing your 3-color approach. When I started out doing limited color I had the same problem. At some point in frustration I would begin to use other colors. I don't often use limited pallette but when I am stuck I can always refer back to that concept and pick my way out.
God bless and keep up the good work

Melissa said...

Hi Gary, I find working with a limited palette is actually more interesting. I get colors that I never would have, had I just reached for a tube of green or orange paint.