Monday, May 04, 2009

A limited palette of primary colors


Untitled Landscape
12 x 12  •   Oil

As I mentioned in my last post, I've been limiting myself to just primary colors. When I say primary colors, I don't mean the traditional colors found on a color wheel, but a blue a red and a yellow. Whatever I interpret to be those colors. 
I get excited when I create those rich browns and secondary colors. And no matter what colors you get, they will always work together -- at least that is what I have found. I suppose it's subjective...

I was taking inventory of my paint colors yesterday, and noticed that I have quite a collection of barely used greens and purples. I can remember a time when I was searching out these colors, knowing only that I would know them when I saw them. Working with primary colors has helped me to find those secondary colors, I think. The process is so much more satisfying for me, as I am an intuitive painter anyway.
It's also nice to know during the challenging economical times that all I really need is three tubes of paint, plus black and white. We always have what we need, don't we?


13 comments:

Meowart said...

I am so excited to see you are posting your artwork now! Please keep it up so I can check in on a regular basis! rmw

Melissa said...

Thanks, Rosalyn, I will try!

Katherine said...

Ahhh, here is where I come to get my color fix.

This is beautiful!

Melissa said...

Thanks, Kathy!

Jean Spitzer said...

Very beautiful. And harmonious.

r garriott said...

This painting is so lovely, like an aurora borealis...

I saw a set of 'primaries' offered at Daniel Smith that included a goldish-green, a blue violet, and a purplish red. The sample painting was amazingly effective.

Melissa said...

Jean and R Garriott, thank you.
Those Daniel Smith color combos are inspirational. I'm on their mailing list too.

Maggie Latham said...

I adore the colours in this. Are these glazes? I look forward to seeing more of your art posts.
Magie

Caio Fernandes said...

helo Melissa! this is the first time i have visited your blog . what a good luck ! the way you pait the light is just wonderful.all those skys are very inspiring.

Melissa said...

Hi Maggie, yes they are glazes but before Deborah's class.

Thank you Ciao!

Gary Keimig said...

It is definitely fun to go to a simple triad and you are doing some great stuff with it. Love this for the colors and the excitement it creates.

the Provident Woman said...

Looks cool!

Paula said...

What a great blog!

Have a nice time!
Paula